With speculations flying around of his possible bid to return to power in 2023, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan has for the first time commented on the issue.

The speculations follows the recent warm relationship between the Jonathan and the Muhammadu Buhari families.

He has also been engaged in both local and international assignments by the present administration.

<p class="has-drop-cap has-vivid-cyan-blue-color has-text-color" value="<amp-fit-text layout="fixed-height" min-font-size="6" max-font-size="72" height="80">It also follows projections that Jonathan would be the safest hand for the Hausa-Fulani oligarchy to support among eligible Southerners as a second Jonathan presidency would automatically mean power reverting to the north in 2027.It also follows projections that Jonathan would be the safest hand for the Hausa-Fulani oligarchy to support among eligible Southerners as a second Jonathan presidency would automatically mean power reverting to the north in 2027.

The recent visit of APC governors to President Jonathan further deepened the speculations. It came as Dr. Jonathan was absent at both the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP National Executive Committee, NEC meeting and the caucus meeting that took place last week.

Reacting to the speculations for the first time through his media aide, Mr Ikechukwu Eze, he dismissed the claim that only APC governors felicitated with him on the occasion of his birthday saying that a PDP governor in the person of Senator Bala Mohammed was also present.

GWG also reports that Senator Mohammed who served in the Jonathan administration and is presently the governor of Bauchi State is believed to be one of the arrow heads behind the move to return Dr. Jonathan to power.

Mr. Eze speaking on the 2023 permutations told Daily Trust: “PDP governors also visited him; it was not only APC governors. Governor Bala Muhammad was there, they visited him as a father and statesman to celebrate with him, it was not a political party affair.

“Anything you are hearing about 2023 is rumour and we don’t have time to be responding to rumours, the former President is a very busy person to be listening to rumours.”

Ba N’Daou, Mali’s former Defence Minister, has been sworn in asPresident of the transition government.

Colonel Assimi Goita was sworn in as Vice President.

Goita heads the National Committee for the Salvation of the People (CNSP) that ousted President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita on August 18.

The emergence of N’Daou and Goita was announced on Monday.

They will lead Mali until the election of a new administration.

Former President of Nigeria, Goodluck Jonathan, was in attendance.

“Today, we witnessed the swearing-in of His Excellency Mr. Ba N’Daou and Colonel Assimi Goita as President and Vice President of Mali’s Transition Govt. The #Ecowas mediation team congratulates these new Malian leaders and wish them success”, he tweeted.

Regional body ECOWAS had imposed border closure against the country.

The sanctions which included the suspension of financial flows are expected to be lifted with a civilian leadership now in place.

Former President, Dr. Goodlicuk Jonathan has suggested that the Commonwealth should develop a benchmarking system of election reporting for member countries.
Jonathan, who spoke at a special virtual high level panel which focused on 40 years of Commonwealth’s election observation experience, argued that member-nations’ performance in conduct of elections should be evaluated against defined assessment standards.
The former president in a statement by his media officer, Ikechukwu Eze, said this can be done without compromising Commonwealth’s policy of neutrality and non-interference on internal affairs of member-nations.
According to him: “The Commonwealth should not just observe elections and make recommendations. I want the Commonwealth to go further by scoring countries according to their performance.
“The democracy marker can be used to grade all the 53-member states.
“After every election, the Commonwealth should review the processes to be able to grade and place every country on a particular rung of the election marker.
“Once you do that you will find that those in charge of affairs in every country in the Commonwealth will then begin to make conscious efforts to improve on their performance. That way, Commonwealth recommendations after observing elections, will become more meaningful.”
He stated that the rating could be for measuring compliance to identified criteria, preferably on a scale of 1-4 or category A – D, depending on the agreed template.
Jonathan defended that there will be no risk of direct interference because those who win under any of the identified categories will continue to run their countries according to their own national rules and laws.

Former President Goodluck Jonathan on Another International Assignment.
Former President Goodluck Ebele Jonathan is currently in Abidjan capital city of Cote d’Ivoire. Jonathan met with the president of the country on Monday as well as the widow of the late former leader of the West African State.

The former president disclosed this on his Twitter handle on Monday evening.

“Usually, I would be delighted to transit through Abidjan because of the opportunity of touching base with His Excellency, President Alassane Ouattara.”

“But today, the atmosphere was somber as I stopped over in the Ivorian capital to offer my deepest condolences to President Ouattara as well as the wife and the family of late Mamadi Diane who recently passed on.”

“In Mr. Diane President Outtara lost a loyal and very dependable adviser while many of us outside Cote d’Ivoire, who knew Mamadi closely, lost a dear friend and a great son of Africa. May God continue to comfort his loved ones and grant his soul eternal repose.” The former president posted on his Twitter handle.

The former president has been touring the world mediating for peace and observing elections since he left office in 2015.

Recently, the former president visited Mali several times due to the ongoing political crisis in the country.

The military later took over political power from the democratically elected president after the crisis sparked up.

However, some Nigerians have urged Goodluck Jonathan to advise Qattara not to elongate his tenure so that we don’t have a repeat of what is happening in Mali.

What do you think about this?

Drop your comment below.

Like and share.

If there is anybody who Nigerians owe debt of apologies, it is no other person than Former President Goodluck Jonathan. 

Your Excellency, Goodluck Ebele Jonathan was one Nigerian President who was highly criticised by Nigerians for many actions taken while in the Aso Rock Villa in Abuja. 

Let’s go memory lane – For the purpose of this article, the focus will be on the 2012 planned fuel subsidy removal and what followed its.

Nigerians began the new year 2012 with a massive protest occasioned by the increase in the pump price of petrol from N65 to N140 by the then Jonathan government.

Jonathan had planned to remove fuel subsidy and ensure the deregulation of the oil sector. 

But this policy of the Goodluck Jonathan administration angered many Nigerians, who occupied Nigeria to protest the increase in price of petrol. 

It was a total shutdown of major Nigerian cities, especially Lagos. In Lagos, the Freedom Park in Ojota became a meeting point for thousands of Nigerians who gathered daily for the protest. 

Politicians, musicians, Nollywood actors and actresses, lawyers and other human rights activists join the protest daily to say no to fuel subsidy removal. 

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC), the Trade Union Congress (TUC), the National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) and others were on top of the game, saying no to fuel subsidy removal. 

Goodluck Jonathan was vilified, he was vituperated, he was bullied and called many unprintable names. 

Most of us joined the protest because we believed those leading us had the love of the masses at heart. 

You told us then that the removal of subsidy would bring about many positive gains in the economy. You said the price will later drop due to competition that would start to occur among oil marketers. You cited the telecommunications industry as an example. 

The then former Minister of Finance, Okonjo Iweala, was always on the television to explain how the subsidy removal would work. She explained what the nation has been spending too much on fuel subsidy, but we didn’t care to listen. She explained it was the need to save the economy, but we were not moved.

Then, some of those leading the protest were making unsubstantiated claims that there was nothing like fuel subsidy. They said subsidy was a scam. We were made to believe that fuel could be sold at a lower price without the payment of subsidy. That turned out to be far from the truth. Though fraud was later detected in the payment of subsidy to oil marketers.

We fell for their sweet talks, we jumped on the streets, carrying placards with various inscriptions. 

People made use of the social media to say all sorts of things against the peace-loving Goodluck Jonathan and nobody was arrested for hate speech. 

Today, the price of fuel is around N160 at filling stations and nobody is occupying Nigeria as it was done in 2012.

Incredibly, the majority of those who led the protest in 2012 appear to have lost their voices. 

The same subsidy we protested against in 2012 has now been removed by the President Muhammadu Buhari government. 

When the news broke out on Wednesday that the price of fuel has been increased, the Federal Government said it was not the one that increased the price, simply because fuel subsidy has been totally removed.

I looked at this again and I felt it within me that Goodluck Jonathan deserves apologies from those of us who protested against him in 2012.

There is no Nigerian who can ever say he believed fuel could increase to this level under President Muhammadu Buhari. 

But here we are, fuel is now above the N141 that it was proposed to be in 2012.

Goodluck Jonathan, please forgive us for that protest in 2012.

Forgive us for all the abusive words we used against you during that protest. 

We didn’t know we are still coming back to what you planned for the nation then. Only God knows how well the economy would have grown if the subsidy had been removed as far back as 2012.

Unfortunately, the increase in the commodity is coming at a time Nigerians are complaining of hardship brought up by the COVID-19pandemic lockdown.

On behalf of all Nigerians who protested against you then, I want to tender an unreserved apology to our dear former President Goodluck Jonathan. 

Please forgive us for that occupy Nigeria protest. We have learnt a lesson and I can simply say leaders like you are rare to come by. 

God bless you sir. 

Ade Abraham, 

Lagos. 

Please comment and share this article until it gets to Goodluck Jonathan.

The young man who was arrested for impersonating Goodluck Jonathan has revealed that he is heartbroken after he came out of detention to discover his girlfriend has moved on.

Shola was detained for 81 days for creating a Goodluck Jonathan parody Twitter account and making a tweet about his wife Patience Jonathan (read here).

He has now disclosed that going to jail and the resulting trauma aren’t the only things he has had to endure.

He says he also came out to find that he’s now booless.

He tweeted:-

“Just 81 days in detention and my girlfriend already has a new boyfriend. Females are so impatient.”